Yesterday was World Mental Health Day and today is National Coming Out Day.
I’ll come out on both fronts: I have had some serious mental health issues in the past. And it sucked. And I was ashamed of it. But I have worked on getting better, and I hope that I can help others get there too.
And like so many others, I don’t fit neatly on the gender/sexuality spectrum. I can’t even understand it myself fully, but I think it’s important for us to know that there is diversity among our friends, neighbors, and coworkers. And that our friends, neighbors, and coworkers are still frequently targeted in hate crimes and other injustices on a daily basis.
That is why I’m posting today. Because even in the mental health field, the field I am so passionate about working in, there is stigma and injustice. And because people are being bullied, harassed, denied the same rights as others, or even killed for the people they love.
I know that some of you will not agree with what I say here. And that’s okay. But I hope that if you do not agree with me, at least I was able to have you think about these issues. I imagine that if you are reading this, you are my friend or colleague in some capacity, and that we have a mutual respect for each other. I hope that you will continue to accept me for who I am, as I do for you, regardless of your gender, sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, political affiliation, religion, etc. And I hope when you meet someone new, you can approach them with that same respect, regardless of your personal convictions.
You are all wonderful people, and I am so grateful for each of you to be part of my life. Thank you.
I finally found one that isn't lame
- 1. If you’ve ever tried drugs or alcohol, what was your reason for first trying it?
- 2. Do you think you could ever have an abortion if you unexpectedly turned up pregnant right this second?
- 3. If you were far from home and needed to sleep for the night, would you choose to rent a crappy motel room for $60 or sleep in your car for free?
- 4. Is there a color shirt you’d NEVER wear?
- 5. Is there a situation where you caved into peer pressure and regretted it?
- 6. What is your favorite video game console? Why?
- 7. Do you like vanilla candles?
- 8. Have you ever been in a relationship that was going great, and then suddenly something weird happened and you just KNEW it was going to be over soon?
- 9. Would you ever bleach your hair platinum blonde?
- 10. What are your plans for tomorrow?
- 11. What did you have for breakfast?
- 12. Have you had sex in 2014 yet?
- 13. Who last slept in your bed besides you?
- 14. What time did you wake up today?
- 15. How long until your next birthday?
- 16. What was the last movie you watched?
- 17. If you could see any musician live, front row, who would you choose?
- 18. When did you last consume something that had peanut butter?
- 19. What’s the last song you heard?
- 20. When you say you love someone, do you mean it?
- 21. Do you plan on sleeping in tomorrow?
- 22. Do you still talk to any of your ex’s?
- 23. As of this minute, what is going through your mind?
- 24. Where’s the last place you went?
- 25. Have you held hands with anyone lately?
- 26. Has anyone let you down recently?
- 27. Does it bother you when people try to make you jealous?
- 28. Whats the next movie you want to see in theaters?
- 29. Do you have more than $50 in your room?
- 30. Are both of your blood parents still in your life?
- 31. Were you tired when you woke up this morning?
- 32. Who is probably talking a load of crap about you right now?
- 33. When was the last time you went apple picking?
- 34. Do you sometimes wake up in the morning, lay in bed and think about life?
- 35. Are you happy summer is coming soon?
- 36. Do you have drama in your life?
Ah crap, I don’t think it’s allergies this time. Chills, body aches, sore throat…
I feel like my depression is slowly creeping back. I haven’t told anyone directly yet. It’s been a weird couple of weeks. In terms of emotional stability, the past few weeks have been incredibly stable. No ridiculous outbursts on my part, no spontaneous fits of irritability or crying….. I’ve been a lot more tolerable to be around, I think.
It’s not that I’m sad. I think I’m pretty satisfied emotionally. But I don’t quite feel like myself. There’s a heaviness in my chest. I don’t know how to explain it…. The past couple weeks have been filled with many fun memories and experiences, but I often feel hollow inside. Not sad, just empty.
It’s not that I’m unhappy. I don’t know. I’m trying to stay busy to make it go away.
I’ve already started hearing back from recruiters after starting the application process for RN residencies.
My job prospects are getting a little better. Starting salaries don’t look bad either.
That moment when your grad school class is SOOO boring and non-stimulating that you end up working on your programming skills.
in case you didnt know
- girls can be polite without being flirty
- dont mistake politeness for being into you
- girls can be nice without wanting the d
- ya feel